T S O Initiatives
TSO is working to promote organ donation awareness and implenting the TSO mission to help transplant recipients and
those waitng for transplants to receive the services they deserve.
- TSO participates in the Coalition to Promote Living Kidney Donation
- TSO works with the Donate Life New York State (formerly New York Alliance for Donation) to promote legislation and initiatives which would improve accessibility to organ transplants. These initiatives have included extending and improving Lauren’s Law. This will ensure that organ donation is addressed at the time of a motor vehicle license renewal by all license applicants. We also advocate for adequate funding for the Alliance for organ donation awareness to promote activities and education in NYS. In addition, we supported extending the bill to lower the registration age in NYS to 16 with parental consent. This is consistent with most states in the USA.
- TSO works with a National Partnership to protect the CMS Protected Class Drug status for immunosuppressant medications.
- TSO works with Live On NY (formerly the New York Organ Donor Network) to promote organ donation and to train and certify volunteers who work at numerous volunteer opportunities including tabling events, community events, and speaking events throughtout our service area. We participate in the annual legislative day in Albany to lend our support to organ donation legislative issues.
- TSO supports and reaches out to all of the Transplant Centers serving our communities; these include Westchester Medical Center, Columbia Presbyterian, Mt. Sinai, SUNY Downstate, SUNY-Stony Brook, North Shore, NYU, NY Pres/Weill-Cornell, Montefiore, St. Lukes Roosevelt, and Yale-New Haven.
- In cooperation with Live On NY, TSO trains and certifies volunteers. Volunteers go out into the community to register organ donors in a variety of venues including hospitals, community fairs and festivals, churches, and schools. Through Live On NY, supplies are provided for events. We are always seeking volunteers so please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- TSO supports a mentoring program so volunteers are able to interact with transplant patients and their family members/friends to offer support and information.
- TSO is active in social media, through our Facebook page and our Twitter page. Your feedback and comments are welcome on these pages. We also take advantage of radio, local television, and news organizations to get the word out about TSO and to promote organ donation awareness.
*see links website page for information on all of these organizations and connect with them for details.
We encourage you to learn more about organ and tissue donation and to consider becoming a donor by enrolling in the New York State Organ and Tissue Registry and letting your family know of your decision.
On behalf of TSO and all those touched by our work, we thank you for your interest.
The Board of Directors